Select Page
podcast | Skillz Middle East
podcast | Skillz Middle East
Review Super Bowl LIII 2019 for Media Buyers [Infographic]

Super Bowl is the largest sports event happening in the U.S. watched by over 150 million people. Super Bowl LIII was not an exception and polarized the majority of its fans directly live in front of their TV.

Since Super Bowl is attracting a large group of people it is important for media buyers to understand who they can reach there. So the biggest question is who is watching Super Bowl? The infographic provided by Digiland Data brings all the important insides for the decision-makers and media buyers who plan to advertise during the game of the year.

188.5 million people are watching the Super Bowl LIII, 47% are female while 53% are male. The number is declining compared to last year by 7%, but the fact is 68% of people watch with TVs in their homes watched Super Bowl LIII live, according to the International Broadcasting Convention.

In the Bleacher Report, it was unveiled why people watch Super Bowl: 24% of viewers said that the commercials are the MOST IMPORTANT PART of the Super Bowl. 1 in 10 viewers this year claim that the ads will influence their purchasing decisions. Ads are seen as entertainment rather than product pitches.

Over the last 10 years, we could see how 30 second commercial time was climbing from $2,7 to over $ 5 million. Kantar Media tallied $534M in Super Bowl ad revenue.

More than one-fifth (22%) of the advertisers last year spent more than 10% of their annual media budget just on the Super Bowl, representing the highest share of advertisers doing so in the past 5 years. 2018 we could see Ad revenues from pre-and post-game ads were $115M.

During Super Bowl the wires are hot in all means, digital channels are melting and bursting on conversation, communication, and information sharing. 2018 stats on social media showed 170.7 million interactions on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram related to the game alone. The peak of interactions was seen close to the end of the game. The lesson learned is the fact: Social Media Marketers must stay ‘On Duty’ throughout the game. The Super Bowl enables retailers to capitalize on marketing opportunities in ways a regular holiday wouldn’t allow.

The top 5 ads last year accounted for the majority (56%) of all video ad shares online, and the other 129 ad creatives accounted for the remaining 44%.

Super Bowl ads were viewed 16% more times on YouTube in 2018 than in 2017. Viewership of these ads on living room devices (such as Roku, Chromecast, etc.) grew by 52%. 1 in every 8 Super Bowl ads viewed on Youtube, was seen through an OTT device.


Top 10 Best Super Bowl 53 Commercials (2019 Funniest Ads Superbowl LIII)

For retailers, Super Bowl is a great opportunity to earn on an unofficial American national holiday day. Fans aged 25-34 spend the most – on average: $118.43 while the average American will shell out for the game and spend $81.17.

Retailers have to prepare for the Super Bowl differently than a typical holiday or special occasion. While 30% of consumers started shopping at least one week before the game, 69% will complete their purchases just a day or two before, or even the day of, the Super Bowl, according to research from Valassis.

Home stores have a chance to increase their sales during the period of the Super Bowl, 8% of people plan to purchase a new television or decorations for the in-home viewing party. 45 million people hosted a Super Bowl LIII party this year.

The spending on food and beverage is maybe surprising since the all-time favorite Chicken Wings receives as much attention as a salad, both generating $ 80 million in income.


The Super Bowl ads aren’t the only place advertisers can find success – the time leading up to the game is the perfect opportunity to position your products as a necessity for the big game.

Super Bowl LIII 2019 for Media Buyers

I am a big fan of Super Bowl and like a lot of Americans, I love Chicken Wings and the commercials running during the event. Even living outside of the US in a different timezone I make it up at 6 am just to watch them live.

Dieter Hovorka

CTO, Co-founder, Skillz Middle East

Share and Enjoy !

Subscribe To Our Blog!!

Subscribe To Our Blog!!

We have daily a fresh blog for you, read about Digital Transformation, Digital Marketing, Technology, Business, Lifestyle, and nice Infographics, sign up now!!!

You have Successfully Subscribed!